by LT MarathonGirl | Dec 27, 2017 | Self Development
Ever crush a goal and have a strange sense of emptiness? Make 2018 a year of total fulfillment.
Are you joining millions who are going to the gym this week? Here’s a plan to kick off your next several trips to the gym. Focus on lifting weights with one arm. Each time for the next bunch of visits keep working that same arm. Curls, flies, lift, press, repeat . . . work it!
We all want a toned arm. Actually, none of us want just one toned arm. We would look ridiculous. No one is setting a fitness goal for 2018 to look weird, but many are setting goals in just one or two areas putting themselves at risk of feeling very unfulfilled even though they’ve achieved their goals. When working on your personal plan for 2018 take a look at more than just your job or your financial status or your relationships. Take time to reflect on and plan for your whole self. Gift yourself a year of total fulfillment in 2018 by thinking through and planning in the following 8 areas
1. CAREER: Are you considering a new career or advancing in your current one? Do you have the job you want? What about your job do you love? What can you do to make your job better? Many people think that the employer is responsible for making their job better, but it’s more in your control than you may think. What – if you did more of it or less of it at work would make you enjoy it more?
2. FAMILY: We can be mutually fulfilled in career success and family success when we take the time to decide what is important and how to manage our time.
3. FINANCIAL: Financial planning should include short term, mid term and long term. What are some things on your “want” list? What steps can you take to make those a reality? Are you thinking big enough?
4. PHYSICAL: I worked with a CEO who would say “get out and run, and if you can’t run, then walk, and if you can’t walk, then crawl, but get up and do something”. We all only have one body. What can you do this year to take care of yours?
5. RELATIONSHIPS: Which relationships do you want to build? Do you have any that are toxic? “Who you spend time with is who you become”. These are great words of wisdom from Tony Robbins.
6. SPIRITUAL: This doesn’t have to be about religion (but it sure can be). What are your beliefs? Your beliefs drive your actions and your actions get your results. Do you have limiting beliefs keeping you from being more, doing more, and having more?
7. INTELLECTUAL: I read that Mark Cuban reads 3 hours a day, Elon Musk ran out of books to read in the library so he would sneak into a bookstore to read more, and that Warren Buffet devotes much of his time to books. Success leaves clues. If these three very successful men devote time each day to sharpen the saw, we all should. If reading is not your thing then find something fun. Ted Talks are entertaining, impactful, and full of knowledge.
8. FUN: All work and no play will make 2018 a dreadful year. What do you enjoy doing for fun? Do you have any interests or hobbies? How will you make sure to take some time for yourself?
Make 2018 your most fulfilled year yet by planning in all 8 areas for a complete you. You can do this!
by LT MarathonGirl | Jan 2, 2016 | Diet, Self Development, Whole 30
The top reason I have stayed with the same employer for over 20 years (dating myself) is that it is so great to work for a company with tremendous opportunity that encourages you to grow as a person. Several years ago they made it even more fun to do so with the 68 Day Challenge. Check it out here on Facebook: The 68 Day Challenge.
The challenge I am taking on this year – the Whole30 Program. 30 days of cleaner eating for better health. No grains, beans, dairy, added sugar, and alcohol for 30 days. What is attractive about this program?
First, anyone can do just about anything for only 30 days. Next, I love this philosophy that eating healthy is easy, it’s the psychology that gets in the way.
So, the challenge is 68 days and the program is only 30. No worries. This isn’t a program to jump right into. The first few steps that I am working on now:
- emptying my pantry of temptation
- reading It Starts with Food
- meal planning – for family members on the plan and those not on the plan
- schedule planning
This last one, schedule planning, has actually been the hardest part so far. Why make this program more difficult by trying to do it when there is extra temptation and will power busters? We’ve (I’m lucky that my husband agreed to go along on this journey) moved our start date from February 23rd (the day after my husbands birthday) to January 4th (let’s stop talking and get started) to January 8th (really, you have 2 business dinners this week).
by LT MarathonGirl | Aug 30, 2015 | Self Development
The sobering fact; I’ve put on 14 pounds since this time last year.
At a business meeting Friday someone said “LT you’re looking thick“! I know he meant it in a good way. I’m sure of it. But, for my type A self, it troubled me.
On the flip side, 14 pounds lighter, a different friend said “LT, you’ve got a great looking body . . . for an 8 year old boy“. Ouch!
Somewhere in between “thick” and “boy body” is the answer.
How this happened? A year of indulgence. A beautiful new house, more time on the golf course, and … the wine cellar pictured here. Try a bottle, store a bottle, try a bottle, store a bottle. Repeat.
Each Fat Tire on the golf course – 160 calories
Each glass of red wine – 125 calories
Munchies afterwords – priceless
I resolve to find that in-between-ness by breaking up with Fat Tire and Red Wine for 30 days – Sober September.
Does anyone else have a goal this month? Share it in the comments section below.
by LT MarathonGirl | Jan 23, 2015 | Uncategorized
When you wake up each morning, I want you to give yourself an ‘A’. This is a lesson I learned from Ben Zander, conductor and educator. Tell yourself, “today, I get an ‘A'” and then think about all of the reasons you gave yourself the highest mark. What did you do? What did you say? Who did you help? What did you do that brought you joy?
It’s amazing that just this little act of seeing yourself in this light will transform your day. You are enough. You do get an ‘A’. You deserve it!
by LT MarathonGirl | Jul 14, 2014 | Uncategorized
The Mastery of Love: A Practical Guide to the Art of Relationship –Toltec Wisdom Book by Miguel Ruiz
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
I recommend purchasing this book for every young adult you know, not just the young ladies. It’s short and to the point.
“Happiness can only come from inside of you and is the result of your love. When you are aware that no one else can make you happy, and that happiness is the result of your love, this becomes the greatest mastery of the Toltecs: the Mastery of Love”
View all my reviews