In 9 glorious days the kids go back to school.
Today, I did my back to school Costco run. The first of a few.
Let the freezer cooking begin . . . .
With school and work and soccer and marching band and … and…. and…. it’s way easier to have awesome homemade dinners ready to go in our freezer. Today I made mac -n- cheese. This recipe is also perfect for sports banquets, graduation parties, and tailgating.
Macaroni -n Cheese for The Team
- 3 1 lb boxes macaroni noodles
- 56 ounces shredded cheddar cheese ( 1 1/2 Costco bags)
- 14 cups milk
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 cup flour
- 8 tbs butter
- 1 tbs salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp ground mustard
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- Boil water in large pan and cook noodles for 7 minutes
- In very large saucepan on medium heat melt the butter. Add onion and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add seasoning and flour. Stir until it is stiff.
- Add milk.
- Stir until it almost boils
- Add cheese slowly and stir until it is melted
- Put noodles in giant pan or multiple cooking dishes
- Top with cheese mixture
- Stir until noodles are coated
- Bake at 375 for 45 minutes
The sobering fact; I’ve put on 14 pounds since this time last year.
At a business meeting Friday someone said “LT you’re looking thick“! I know he meant it in a good way. I’m sure of it. But, for my type A self, it troubled me.
On the flip side, 14 pounds lighter, a different friend said “LT, you’ve got a great looking body . . . for an 8 year old boy“. Ouch!
Somewhere in between “thick” and “boy body” is the answer.
How this happened? A year of indulgence. A beautiful new house, more time on the golf course, and … the wine cellar pictured here. Try a bottle, store a bottle, try a bottle, store a bottle. Repeat.
Each Fat Tire on the golf course – 160 calories
Each glass of red wine – 125 calories
Munchies afterwords – priceless
I resolve to find that in-between-ness by breaking up with Fat Tire and Red Wine for 30 days – Sober September.
Does anyone else have a goal this month? Share it in the comments section below.