Today’s workout is yoga. A lot of people avoid programs with yoga in them thinking that it is just a bunch of stretching and it isn’t in alignment with their goals of slimming down or bulking up. They envision something like this
not this (but I thought it was funny)
I looked up what yoga is. The word yoga means unite. To unite the body with mind and the mind with the soul. Yoga is an entire lifestyle philosophy which includes exercise as one part of it. Training your mind and body and connecting with your spirituality to achieve a balanced life are the main goals of the yoga lifestyle. Active forms of yoga that are included in many exercise programs, like P90X, improve strength, flexibility, balance, and stamina. Many people who do yoga say that it reduces anxiety and stress, improves mental clarity, and even helps them sleep better.
That’s what I read, this is what I know. During the first 30 days of P90X yoga was the most difficult of all of the exercises. I didn’t have the strength or the flexibility to do a lot of the poses. As I continue with the program I have noticed a tremendous difference in my strength and flexibility that carries over into my other training and has improved my running. Each time I push play on the YogaX dvd I am able to do more. The sense of accomplishment doing each exercise is incredible and gets my day off to a perfect start and I have so much fun doing it everyone wants to join in.
Are you looking for an exercise plan for the New Year? Here is a list of my favorite workouts from 2012.
The Best Cardio Workout – I know you’ve sung like no one was watching, but have you ever danced like no one was watching? Put on your favorite tunes and just go for it. It’s a great way to get your heart rate up, blast fat, build lean muscle, and burn 300-500 calories per hour.
The Best Ab Workout – laugh until it hurts. Not only is it good for your soul it is a great Ab workout. It can also improve your overall health.
The Best Workout to Tone Your Arms – whisk something up in the kitchen. Oh, feel the burn as you whisk away. Never mind the calories you will consume enjoying your creation. You’ve just worked on toning your arms and shoulders. Making dinner made #1 on the list of 10 things to do to drop 100 calories now.
The Best Workout to Tone Your Legs – I have 2 favorites for burning those leg muscles. Combine the two and you have a super leg workout that’s a lot of fun.
- Give someone a piggyback ride.
- Take a brisk walk on the beach, ankle deep in water.
Put these two together and you have a muscle burning good time.
My three tips always for fueling your energy – free, fun, and friend. Find fun ways to get your heart rate up while spending time with friends and family this holiday and remember to make holiday gatherings are about the friends not the food. You won’t leave with any regrets!!!
As the year comes to an end it’s important to take time and reflect on the past. What went well last year? What could have gone better? What did I learn? Take a look back and write it down. “The palest ink is better than the best memory.” – Chinese proverb Which habits got you great results and which ones got in your way?
Replace those bad ones with a new habit. Instead of watching the evening news (bad in so many ways) go for a walk. Instead of fast food for lunch brown bag it.
Don’t think about what you are giving up. Instead think about what you are gaining.
Here are some of the things that I learned:
- Act Now. If you wait, later may become never.
- Speed wins and slow costs more. Everything Counts, Gary Ryan Blair
- I can’t do crane – yet.
- The great do the little things really well. Jon Gordon
- You must not only succeed, you must survive success.
- Look for the helpers. There are always helpers. Thank you Mr Rogers.
- We all have a finite number of days. Make each one great.
- Watch what you say. Your words will come to life.
- You can get in the best shape of your life in your 40’s.
- Pickle juice helps you finish the race – if they offer it then drink it. Really!
- Make them think it is their idea. Is getting the credit more important than getting it done?
- Some people don’t change they just hide.
- Share your goals with people who believe in you and will push you.
- Be grateful.
- Marathons are like sales. They are not for everyone. Only those with great strength of will.
- iPads rock!
- Breaking up with beer fixes a lot of things.
- The way to be brilliant is to know how it is. Thank you Jim Rohn and KWG.
- Everyone communicates Few connect. Thank you John Maxwell.
- Also from Maxwell, find the 5 things that if you do them every day will help you reach your goals (I still only have 4: read, write, run, and connect)
- P90X helps runners cross train.
- Making animal sounds at bad drivers is so much more fun than swearing and better with kids in the car.
- Daniel Craig looks just like Bing Crosby.
What did you learn this year?
Give yourself a gift this year. Start the year fast and focused by joining our biggest loser contest. The contest will start the second Monday of January which will be the 14th. This will give you a little time to work out your plan. It will be a 90 day challenge
with a $20 buy in so that you have some skin in the game. You can choose an exercise program of your choice (we need to approve it) and a nutrition program of your choice (Again, this needs to be approved too, no liquid diets or anything crazy. What is the point of great results if you don’t physically feel good after accomplishing them and can’t sustain them?).
There are 3 simple requirements:
1) A $20 buy in
2) Approved health and wellness plan
3) Must sign up for a free Beachbody account.
I will walk you through all 3 simple steps. You do not need to buy anything (except the admission fee).
Here’s the details:
- The entire entry fee will be paid to the first and second place winners of the contest (75% to first place, 25% to second) .
- January 14th is weigh in day. You will take a picture of your weight on the scale and post it to our private Facebook group.
- Every Monday following will be weigh in day.
- We will post the leader board every week.
- Who ever loses the most amount of weight (by % of body weight) will be crowned the winner and given 75% of the overall prize money.
- Second place will then win 25% of the prize money.
- This challenge will last ninety days.
If you are interested email me at firstname.lastname@example.org .
If you want a leg up or want some help I can help you select a workout program, a nutrition plan, or even a supplement program to give yourself a comprehensive inner-body tune-up.
As promised here are my stocking stuffer ideas for runners. They are perfect for any level runner, from run-around-the-block to marathoners. Since it’s getting awfully close to the big day I listed all on-line sources so you can order right in your jammies. If you missed Stocking Stuffers for Her check it out.